Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Meridian, MS, United States
A sister, a mother, a rival, a best friend, an information junkie, oblivious. A dreamer, a realist, a believer just seeking His will for me. A procrasinator, a competitor, a country girl with city ways, a student, a mentor, a professional who thinks casual Fridays are a must, a fan. An anachronism, relevant, a cliche, an enigma, a wife with goofy songs and bedtime stories for my favs and one who is always striving toward giving you the best that I've got!

Friday, April 16, 2010

Mind Your Manners

This is a picture of Mrs. Jill Baker.  At my high school, she was my cheerleader sponsor and she constantly reminded our mostly all-girl cheer squad (particularly those with steady boyfriends) that as cheerleaders and leaders of the student body in general we were to be socially respectful and uphold certain behavioral standards.  One of which was there was to be abolutely no PDA's!  Public Displays of Affection, that is.

We thought it was ridiculous at the time.  No public kissing.  No public hugging.  Limited public hand-holding.  No visible signs of courtship in public that included invading the other's personal space inappropriately and  particularly no "mushy" stuff that could corrupt our public reputations or that appeared disrepectful to others around us.  At the time, it seemed like a ludicrous sacrifice in name of respect...both self and social.

At home, the neighborhood watch team was a league of neighborhood adults (mostly moms) who were not particularly watching for criminal behavior so much as they were making sure the kids in the neighborhood behaved well OR ELSE!!  If you didn't, you got it from one of them and then from your mama or daddy when you made it to the house because your folks were charter members of this club.  WE HAD TO MIND OUR MANNERS!

Boy!  It seemed like everybody in my growing-up life was concerned about public manners.  Why?

  • There were no cell phones to use where I could stand in line at the grocery store, or at the bank teller window, or at the fast-food counter or sit in the doctor's office or board a plane and have a loud and trivial conversation as others looked on annoyingly.

  • My underwear was not on public display from the beltless-sagging-five-times-too-large-for-me pants I was or was not wearing.

  • I could not text on my "futuristic" cell phone amidst a verbal conversation with another human being.

  • I was not rapping or singing a vulgar or sexually explicit popular song lyric in a public place so loudly that people plainly outside of my immediate earshot could hear.

  • There were not flip-flops worn to MY VISIT to the White House nor in my official photo with the President of the United States! POSTSCRIPT:  No such visit actually happened to me.

  • Anyway, was I bumping my favorite joint (song) on 18 speakers and a subwoofer stacked across the back seat of my car while sitting at a popular intersection awaiting the light to turn green?

  • Did I abruptly and out of context walk, talk, or yell out just as another person began their speech, prayer, scriptural reading, sacred moment?  Or did I do this during the national anthem or even during a meeting?  Did I?

  • I wasn't using profanity in public places at decibel levels high enough to be heard without the benefit of a microphone with no matter to what company was present (elders, authorities, children, or peers) just so I could emphasize a point or just because I could talk.

  • Did they think I was so quick to anger for any offense that I would damage someone else's property or person?

  • If I didn't have my pajamas on in public for any legitimate reason, then what was their problem?

  • Were all my male friends keeping their hats on while inside or while at the dinner table as a matter of fashion?

  • Did they think I thought it was ok not to tip wait staff out of humor?

  • Did I speak over or interrupt or even ignore the presence of adults or those in authority?

  • Was I too hot-headed to resolve a conflict with a gentle word or healthly dialogue - did every conversation result in an accusation, bad attitude, arguement or fallout?

  • Maybe, I always blurting out the most critically, harsh, obviously untimely, and rude comment regardess of its effect.

  • Was I just generally obnoxious beyond the obnoxiousness of todays' reality show personalities? (In introspect - this one may actually apply)

  • So then...
WHAT WAS THEIR PROBLEM?!!!


This is dedicated to everyone in anyone's life who taught or teaches that minding your manners helps all of us give each other the best that we've got...

No comments:

Post a Comment