Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Meridian, MS, United States
A sister, a mother, a rival, a best friend, an information junkie, oblivious. A dreamer, a realist, a believer just seeking His will for me. A procrasinator, a competitor, a country girl with city ways, a student, a mentor, a professional who thinks casual Fridays are a must, a fan. An anachronism, relevant, a cliche, an enigma, a wife with goofy songs and bedtime stories for my favs and one who is always striving toward giving you the best that I've got!

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Daylight Saving's Grace

I am sooooooooooooooo glad my first week to loose an hour of sleep each night happened during a week when I did not have to be somewhere, namely work.  Spring Break, though not technically in spring or maybe it's almost spring, happened just in time for Daylight Savings time.  That was just the other week for all of us at Meridian Community College.

We spent March 12-19 in respite at various places of generally our own choosing.  I, and maybe others,  decided quickly that I was not going to do anything worth doing with as much enthusiasm NOT to do it as possible.  I was really successful.

The first weekend of the break we entertained some dear friends (my son-in-law's parents).  They were rolling through the area in an RV as they drove from a six-week visit with our children in California back home to Long Island.  On Monday (mid-morning) when the guest rolled out toward their next stop in Atlanta, my baby daughter of 21 years and I jumped into my car and skirted up the road for a seven-hour road trip to north central Texas.  We pulled into my old stomping ground just before the closing of one of our favorite dives and so we ordered a full plate of Texas BBQ.

We can always count on Johnson St. BBQ, formerly Kelly's, to be awesome.  And, it was.  The next day, around noon, we got up and made french toast for everyone who dared stopped by to say hello.   It was french toast MS Gulf Coast Bed & Breakfast style.  You know the recipe.  The one from stale french bread browned until golden in a pan of real butter and then topped with dark brown syrup filled with pecans and rum or kaluha and calorie-free...wish.

Don't fret.  I walked it all off during a late afternoon of window shopping I did with an old high school friend at a nearby east Dallas mall called Town East.  We looked a lot, laughed a lot, liked a lot, but spent a little.  It was awesome!  We caught up with each other's lives and ate an early dinner at Cheddars where I enjoyed a grilled Portabello on ciabotta with a garden salad - just toooooooooooo gooooooooooooood!

Now, just so I don't provide blow by blow coverage of my whole spring break in the forms of the food and frolicking, I can sum it up by saying the rest of the week included a lot of  sleeping late,  goofin' around, more sleeping and mostly, no thinking about work.

Enter stage right, reality.  Today began the second week back at work and I was in a fog of sorts until I had an epiphany.  I discovered that I'm still running on Central Standard Time.  I realized that I'm still not ready to do all the stuff that should have been finished an hour ago.  I seem to have lost an hour.  You too?

Well, don't fret because just about the time you or I may fall far too behind, remember Daylight Savings time gives us more daylight to catch up.  Maybe they should call it Daylight Savings Grace?

Hey!!!

Is that worse than loosing an hour of sleep in the first place?  Is that another epiphany?  Or is that simply more time to give it the best that I've got...

No comments:

Post a Comment